Sanborn Canoe Painted Paddle: Clatsop
Fort Clatsop was the final encampment for the Corps of Discovery before their return trip east. Perhaps the greatest canoe-powered endeavor of the new world, the Corps of Discovery traveled from St. Louis, MO to the coast of the Pacific in present day Oregon. Led by Meriwether Lewis and William Clark it was an over two year perilous canoe journey, mapping and exploring the newly acquired Louisiana Purchase. Fort Clatsop was their winter HQ from Dec. 1805 until spring and their departure home.